BOYD-L Archives

Archiver > BOYD > 2008-08 > 1218488879

From: "Diggingupbones" <>
Subject: [BOYD] interesting
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 17:07:59 -0400

May 1, 1790-Lunenburg . Co, Va DB 16, P 34, Between Thomas Jones of Lun..
Co, of the first part, Richard Swepson, Thomas Mutter, and Robert Turnbull,
of the second part, and Alexander Boyd of the third part, for 61E, 10
shillings, and 3 pence, which Jones owes Boyd, and for 5 shillings to
Swepson, Mutter & Turnbull, in hand paid by Boyd, Jones has granted Swepson,
Mutter & Turnbull, 7 Negroes, names Viz: Frank, John, James, Isam, Sarah,
Betty, and Hunt; 26 cattle, 2 sorrel mares, 1 sorrel colt, 1 black colt, and
household and kitchen furniture. This deed is upon trust that Swepston,
Mutter, & Turnbull shall, after next April 1, for the best price in ready
money, sell the Negroes, cattle, & furniture, to obtain the above sum and
related expenses, with the overplus of the sale being paid to Jones. Sig:
Thomas Jones, Wts: William Boyd, Robert Boyd, Richard Boyd. Rec'd Aug, 12,
1790.

Sept 6, 1790 -Meck. Co, Va-DB7, P 627 Richard Swepson, Alexr. Boyd, William
Boyd, Robert Boyd & Richard Boyd, the Clerk of Meck. Co, wit deed of James
Cheatham of Bourbon Co, Ky, to Andrew Gregory of Meck Co, Va.- Elizabeth
Cheatham, w/o James relinq. dower (retained life interest in this land,
where James Cheatham formerly lived, on Bluestone crk, adj. Finch, Brame,
Hall & Speed) Rec-9/13/1790

Sept. 27, 1790-Granville Co., NC records-DB 2, P 218-219, JOHN SWEPSTON &
RICHARD SWEPSTON TO Thomas Mutter, for 65 Pds.. 3 SLAVES, Wits: Robert Boyd,
Robert Hester, & John Brown

-----------------------------------------------_____________________________
___________________

Will of Jane Swepson Young:- Meck Co, Va-Bk 3, P 115)- Dated April 27, 1792
Proved July 9, 1792

In the name of God, Amen, I Jane Young, of Meck. Co., Virginia, being low in
health, but of sound memory, do make this my last Will and Testament, in
manner following:
My Will and desire is that all my just debts and funeral expenses should be
paid out of my last year and the ensuing years crops of tobacco, corn, and
wheat.

I give to Mary Winkler a sorrel mare After the crop upon the plantation is
finished. I give unto James Boyd a black mare after the crop upon the
plantation is finished. I give unto Lennard Sims my old riding mare. I
give to Alexander Boyd the cart belonging to the plantation and all my stock
of hogs. I give to my sister Lucy Swepson a bay mare colt named Rattle. I
give to my sister Charity Swepson a bay(Illeg) named Rassel. I give to
Lennard Sims and Alexander Boyd all my stock of cattle to be equally divided
between them. I give to my brother William Mallory Swepson a negro boy named
Zekial., when he comes of age or marries, but in case he dies before that
period my Will is that he should go to my sisters Lucy and Charity Swepson.
I give to my sister Lucy and Charity Swepson one negro woman Egg, her two
children and all her increase, all my other estate both real and personal,
likewise the whole of my proportion of my Father's Estate, left me by Will
to be equally divided between them when my sister Lucy comes of age or
marries but in case either of them should die before that period the whole
to go to the survivor and in case of the death of both to go to my brother
William Mallory Swepson, and in case of the death of him before he comes of
age or marries the whole property before mentioned to go unto the Swepson
Family. My Will and desire is that there be no appraisement made of my
estate.

I constitute and appoint Lennard Sims of Warren County, No. Carolina & John
Davis, Junr. of Mecklenburg County, Virginia, Executors of this my last Will
and Testament.

In Witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal this 27th day of
April, One Thousand Seven Hundred and Ninety-Two.

Signed: Jane (XHer Mark) Young (SS)

Witness:
Richard Swepson
Martha Coleman

At a Court held for Mecklenburg County the 9th day of July, 1792. This Will
was proved by the Oaths of Richard Swepson and Martha Coleman, Witnesses
thereto and ordered to be recorded.

Test: John Brown, Cl. Crt

Dec. 3, 1792 Inventory of Est of JANE YOUNG, Dec'd, returned to court by
Leonard Sims, & John Davis, Junior. Rec'd-Feb. 11, 1793 (Bk 3, P 148)

March 20, 1793 :-Vol. 6, P 310- A list of Justices for the County of
Mecklenburg: Among the names are Alexander Boyd; Richard Swepson, (not
qualified).

May 13, 1793-Meck DB 8, P 313 William Call of Prince George Co to John
Marshall late of Meck Co but now of Granville Co, NC for F 1109, 583 AC
being pt of 1,792 AC sold to Marshall & Moody. Wts: Thomas Fitzpatrick,
William Call, Jr., James Oliver, Archibald Swepson,*(Davis?) E B. Holloway,
Peyton Skipwith, Joseph Butler, John Puryear, Jr. -* unidentified by me-sgs

Nov 11, 1793-DB 8, P 359 Nov 11, 1793 Richard Swepston, ETAL to
Commonwealth of Va.-bond

Nov. 11, 1793 DB 8, P 360-Richard Swepson, ETAL to Meck. Co.-Bond

Sept 8,1794 DB 8, P 447, John Clay to Alexander Boyd, 626 1/2 AC in
Charlotte & Meck. Co. Wts: Richard Swepson, Richard Boyd, James Boyd

Feb 8, 1796 DB 9, P 36, William Ballard to Richard Swepson Trust, Etal Deed
of Trust

April 12, 1796 DB 8, P 74 Lewis Parham to Richard Swepson Trust, etal Deed
of Trust

June 13, 1796 DB 9, P 95 Thomas Jeffries to Richard Swepson, Deed
This Indenture, made this third day of May in the year of our Lord one
thousand seven hundred and ninety-six between Thomas Jeffries , Mecklenburg
Co, Virginia, of the one part and Richard Swepson of the same County of the
other part, Witnesseth that the said Thomas Jeffries in and for the
consideration of the sum of five hundred and sixty pounds, fourteen
shillings, current money of Virginia, to being in hand by the said Richard
Swepson in receipt whereof the said Thomas Jeffries doth hereby acknowledge
and therefore doth clearly exonerate and discharge the said Richard Swepson
his heirs and assigns forever, hath given, granted, bargained, sold and
confirmed, and by these proceeds grant, bargain, sell, and confirm unto the
said Richard Swepson, his heirs and assigns forever; one certain tract or
parcel of land being and lying in the County of Mecklenburg, containing by
estimation six hundred and twenty five (625) acres, be the same, more or
less. It being all the lands left to me by my father, John Jeffries ,and
joining the lands of Henry Speed, Robert Boyd, and Major John Nelson; TO
HAVE AND TO HOLD the aforesaid granted, bargained, and sold land and
premises with every of its rights and appurtenances thereunto belonging unto
the said Richard Swepson, his heirs and assigns forever, and the said Thomas
Jeffries doth agree for himself his heirs Exors. and Adms. to warrant and
forever defend the aforesaid land and premises with all its rights and
appurtenances unto Richard Swepson, his heirs and assigns forever. against
Thomas Jeffries, his heirs and assigns the claim or claims of any other
person or persons whatsoever. In witness whereof the said Thomas Jeffries
hath hereunto set his hand and affixed his seal the day and year above
written.

Signed: Thomas Jeffries (Seal)

Signed, sealed and delivered in presence of :
Richard Boyd
Alexander Boyd, Jr.
James Boyd
David Boyd
Edward Dodson

Memorandum: That on the day and year first within mentioned, Quiet &
peaceable possession with delivery and seizers was given and made by Thomas
Jeffries to Richard Swepson according to the true terms and effect of the
within written deed in presence of the witnesses thereunto subscribed:

Signed: Thomas Jeffries (Seal)

In presence of us:
Richard Boyd
Alexander Boyd, Jr.
James Boyd
David Boyd
Edward Dodson

At a court held for Mecklenburg county the 13th day of June, 1796

This Indenture and the memorandum enclosed were acknowledged by Thomas
Jeffries, a party thereto, and ordered to be recorded. Test: William
Baskerville, CC

Mar. 13, 1797 DB 9, P 217 Richard Swepson to Robert Boyd-Deed

This Indenture made this 11th day of January in the year of our Lord one
thousand seven hundred and ninety seven between Richard Swepson of
Mecklenburg county, Virginia, of the one part, and Robert Boyd of the same
County, of the other part.

Karen in FL.

This thread: