BOYD-L Archives

Archiver > BOYD > 2008-08 > 1219443262

From: "Mike Boyd" <>
Subject: Re: [BOYD] Homecoming events - Tour of Glasgow, Stirling,Edinburgh July 2009
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2008 08:14:22 +1000

The DRAFT PROGRAM IS:-

Gathering 24 - 26 July 2009

Draft Tour Program for Glasgow, Paisley, Stirling, Falkirk and Edinburgh in
2009

Assemble Glasgow pm Wednesday 15 July

It will be necessary to have two parts to the Tour - those wishing to do
Family Tree research and those that want to see the sights.

Day 1, Thursday 16 July, take Red Bus around Glasgow (cost about 10 pound).
Then

- Researchers to Mitchell Library at 3 North Street

- others visits Galleries/Museums

Day 2 Friday 17 July, Glasgow Cathedral and St Mungo's, 9 am

- Researchers to Mitchell or any other Libraries for trees

- tourist to then walk through Glasgow's Merchant City and see the Obscure
History sights

Day 3 Satarday 18 July, 8.30 or 9.00 am train to Paisley, to see Abbey and
High Church and those that need to go to Library on High Street for
Renfrewshire research

back to Glasgow pm. Take train from Queen's Station 5 or 6 pm for Stirling

Day 4 Sunday, 19 July, all go to Wallace Monument, Stirling Castle, walk
around old town, Church in evening

Day 5 Monday, 20 July, to Library at Stirling to find Boyd data

Tourist members might want to go to Perth by train or follow up other sights
in Stirling

Day 6 Tuesday 21 July, By train to Falkirk

Just north of Falkirk is Airth where many Boyd are listed in the IGI and
north of Linlithgow is North Bank where a major Boyd lived, plus Linlithgow
Palace (I will be visiting Falkirk in September 2008 to see during this day.

Day 7 Wednesday 22 July, about 8.30 am train to Edinburgh, book into
Accommodation

- Red bus tour around Edinburgh

- then researchers to National Library in King George IV Bridge, or Registry
House.

Day 8 Thursday 23 July, thinking of (bus) tour to Temple (now an Dundas
house, but former Boyd of Kipps Estate) and to Tantallon Castle, just
outside of North Berwick, which was an the Earl of Angus Castle, whom the
First Lord Boyd's daughter married (again I will visit in September to check
out). However, it that trip to North Berwick maybe too long a third
alternative is to go to Roslin to the famous church there - which is closer
to Edinburgh, about 9 kms)

Day 9 Friday 24 July, Free time in Edinburgh to site see or shop

Day 10 Saturday 25 July, Clan Gathering

Day 11 Sunday 26 July, Clan Gathering.

Monday 27 July, Members to go back to any place we have previously visited
on tour, go to Kilmarnock or go home.

THIS WILL BE SUBJECTED TO A MUMBER OF CHANGES BEFORE JULY 2009, as people
want more more hear or less there.

I am hoping it will give me a chance to "know" how to get around all these
place that Boyd families were involved with. I did not inlcude
Kilmarnock,as I knew a number of people would like to do that after and by
that time should have made "friends" to go with, either by train, car. Not
sure about bus, but you cna catch one form Glasgow, so even getting doen
there by bus is possible.

Use this as you starting point.

Mike Boyd

Chairman