BOYD-L Archives

Archiver > BOYD > 2008-08 > 1219808531


From:
Subject: [BOYD] Covenanter Boyds in SC, MD, IN
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 23:42:11 EDT



http://reformedpresbyterian.org/download/history.pdf
INDIANAPOLIS. Immediately after the war of the rebellion a few Covenanters
gathered into this city, and the Central Board of Missions began to cultivate
it as a mission field. In the spring of 1866, the Rev. John Crozier took
charge of the mission, built a comfortable house of worship in a desirable part
of the city, and preached to appreciative audiences, among which were members
of the Legislature. The
congregation was organized May 10, 1867, with twenty- four members, and
Mr. Crozier continued in charge. The good cause so auspiciously begun gradually
declined, the congregation was disorganized in May, 1870, and the church
property was sold by the Illinois Presbytery at a small sacrifice.* Dr. J. T.
Boyd,* B. F. Breedon and David Fulton were among the leading members. *R.
P. & C., 1872, p. 82. PG337
MARYLAND.
BALTIMORE. As early as the year 1797, a few families of Covenanters resided
in the city of Baltimore. At the formation of the Reformed Presbytery, in
the spring of 1798, the Revs. William Gibson and James McKinney were directed
to visit the people in this city PG 368
… Probably the first Covenanters in Baltimore were James Fletcher, James
McCauseland, Robert Carothers and John McLean from Scotland; Mrs. James Black,
John Anderson and Samuel Moody, from Ireland. In 1819, emigration from Europe
began to flow in rapidly, and among those who were added to the Church this
year were Samuel Boyd, Archibald McGill, Alexander McCracken, John Neilson
and James Wooden. The sacrament of the Lord’s supper was, for the first time,
administered on December 19, 1819, and the pastor was assisted by Revs.
Alexander McLeod and Robert Lusk. In 1820, John Milroy, William and Samuel
Cumming, and Samuel Russell, from Scotland; and Patrick May and Patrick Boyd, from
Ireland, were among those added to the congregation. In 1821, forty persons
were added to the church, among whom were the families of David Graham, Dr.
J. Harper, John McElroy, John Wood, Walter Russell, James Kirkpatrick, John
McElwee, Hugh Connell, Samuel Henry, James Logan, Willoughby Lewis, Robert
Bates, John Little, PG 369
Joshua David, John Murphy and Arthur Baxter. In 1822, eighteen were added,
among whom were James Crawford, John Campbell, Hugh McConnell, John David,
James Brown, Samuel Morrison and Alexander Scott. Willoughby Lewis and David
Graham were added to the session, May 18, 1822. In 1823, thirty-five more
members were added to the roll, chiefly from Scotland. Of these emigrants were
John Waugh, James McCollum, Samuel Boyd, Edward Spence, Patrick Dickey, George
Smith, John Boyd, John Fisher, James Chartiers, Alexander Hamilton, John
Hamel, Daniel Loughridge, William Stavely, William Waddell, Moses Roney, William
Johnston, James Dykes,Edward Hamilton, William Pettigrew, John McQuown and
John Arnold… PG 370
As a natural consequence, during the division of the Church in 1833 Mr.
Gibson and nearly the whole congregation, left the principles of the Church, and
went into the Presbyterian and other bodies. PG 371
SOUTH CAROLINA.
CHESTER DISTRICT. In the latter part of the seventeenth century a few
banished Covenanters settled at Port Royal and in the vicinity of Charleston,
but on account of the unhealthy condition of the country they either migrated
to Chester District or returned to Scotland. Soon Chester District became the
stronghold of Covenanterism in the South. In 1750, soon after the removal of
the Rev. Alexander Craighead to the South, a few members of the “Craighead
Society” at Octorara, Pennsylvania, and other Covenanters from Virginia and
North Carolina, settled in this region. Among these were Hugh and John
McDonald. They settled along the Rocky Creek and were the pioneers of Chester.*…….
At one time there were over five hundred Covenanters in South Carolina,
and they composed the congregations of Rocky Creek, Big Rocky Creek, Little
Rocky Creek, Beaver Dam and Bethesda. Among the names, not heretofore mentioned
as members of the Church in South Carolina, are the different families by the
names of McMillan, Cooper, McKelvy, Hemphill, Woodbourne, Montford, Nesbit,
and others of the Brick Church; those of Ewin, McHenry, Erwin, Todd, Kell,
Rock, Linn, Little, McFadden, McClurkin and Simpson, of the Beaver Dam
congregation; those of Martin, Dunn, Wright, Hood, Sproull, Henry, Stormont,
Cathcart, Robinson, McMillin and Richmond, of the Richmond or Big Rocky Creek Church;
those of McNinch and Crawford dwelt at the McNinch meeting house; those of
Smith, Faris, McDonald, Coulter, Wright, Willson, Orr, Wylie, Black, Henkle,
Hunter, Boyd, Neil and McDill at the Little Rocky Creek congregation… The
descendants of the South Carolina Covenanters are now generally found in Ohio,
Indiana and Illinois, whither they migrated, and are in connection with both
branches of the Church. The few who lived in the South after the death of
the Rev. Thomas Donnelly, went into the Associate Reformed and Presbyterian
Churches. End
pg-398



**************It's only a deal if it's where you want to go. Find your travel
deal here.
(http://information.travel.aol.com/deals?ncid=aoltrv00050000000047)



This thread: