JOHN-L Archives

Archiver > JOHN > 2000-01 > 0947075504

From: "Gene R. Griffith" <>
Subject: Re: [JOHN-L] Roll call and William Johns of 1700s
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2000 06:31:44 -0600

Good Morning,
I'm sure you noticed that I stated,could be our Mary Monacan.I never take
the LDS information for gospel until I have checked out all the information
that I find there. I was in touch with someone from the historical section
of the Old St.Martins Parrish and was told that it was a very good
possibility that the information I found on the LDS site was true.There was
no mention of what tribe the Marys came from. I was told by the Historian
that indeed it was true that Indian were being sheltered and taught the
white mans ways at the St. Martin's Parrish in those days. There were many
different tribes of Indians around the Virginia area who the priest tried to
teach the ways of the white man. But most of them were the Pamunkey.
So because the priest had taught many different tribes who wanted help,they
could not state with certainty that some of them were Monacan.But in all
probility if our Robert Johns married a Mary from the Parrish she very well
could have been Indian or part Indian because a lot of the white trappers
married some of the Indian women who were housed there at that time.
In either event,I am still searching. I just didn't want Karen to stop her
search because she had found this information.I found the same Bible she
found at the state Library and it does not state Indian or white man, its
just a families bible with family information that has been passed on to the
Library. She has helped our people some what with genealogy information, The
information she found was not conclusive. I take every thing I find with a
grain of salt unless I've lived it. I grew up thinking I was Cherokee as my
mother had as well as my grandparents .But I do believe that Robert did
indeed marry Mary Gresham who was a half breed with her mother being Indian
and since she came from the Hanover ,Amherest area she could very well have
been Monacan, as I said I'm still looking. Any information that I find I
willingly pass it on to Andy.
I have not been doing to much research lately as I am involved in a Native
American Foundation to help the many Indian children to be able to have a
college education and some of the indians families to have warm homes in the
winter and fans and etc. to help them in the summer. It is a 501(c)3 non
profit organization.
We hope to be able to issue15 Scholarships and Grants to the Native
Americans through out the country within this coming year. It is for the
federal and State tribes.It is called Foundation for Native American
Betterment(Improvements). If you go into my web site you will find
information on the foundation at the moment. we hope to expand in the future
to help more native Americans if we can.
http://www.geocities.com/soho/atrium/3594/Littlewolf_home.html

Littlewolf