NEIKIRK-L Archives

Archiver > NEIKIRK > 2005-07 > 1121922782

From: "Diana Quinones" <>
Subject: Re: [NEIKIRK] Thomas J Neikirk/Nikirk of Virginia and Tennessee
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 00:13:02 -0500

Dear the NIKIRKs:

This is incorrect! Jacob NEIKIRK is not a son of Mary KERST and John NEUKIRCH, Jr.
They were not married until 5/27/1800 at Schwartzwald Reformed Church in Exeter Berks Co PA.
So Jacob could not be their son.

I know because KERST are my direct line! I descend from Mary KERST's brother Jacob KERST! Also, estate papers for John do not show a son named Jacob.

Here is estate paper for John who died Nov1822 from Berks Co Register of Wills office:
Death Notice, Reading Adler Newspaper, Reading, Berks Co., PA; Tuesday, 11/12/1822 edition, "General John Neukirch died last Friday in Exeter Twp., this county, in his 46th year."

From Berks Co Register of Wills:
At an Orphans Court held at Reading in and for Berks county on the 9th day of January, 1824, before the Honorable Robert Porter, Esq., President, and his associate, Gabriel Heister, Esq.
Upon petition of John DeTurk and Samuel Kerst, administrators of the estate of John Neikirch, late of Exeter township, Berks county, yeoman, deceased, who died intestate..
Setting forth that the said intestate left a widow and issue six children, namely: Nelly, Elizabeth, Catharine, Harriette, George and John, five of whom are yet in their minority; that the personal estate of the said deceased is insufficient for the payment of his debts, as by the account therewith produced appears, and that the said intestate died seized in his demesne as of fee, of and in a certain messuage tenement and tract of land, situate in Robeson township, Berks co, containing 46 acres, more or less, adjoining lands of Ezekiel Beard, __ Clevenstine and others. And therefore praying the court to grant them an order for the sale of the said property for the payment of the debts of the said intestate. Wherefore it is ordered by the court here, upon due proof and considerations had of the premises, that the said John Deturk and Samuel Kerst, administrators as aforesaid, do on Friday the 13th day of February next, at one o'clock in the afternoon that day at the house o!
f John Thompson, innkeeper in Robeson Twp, expose the above described property to sale, by public vendue or outcry, and sell the same for the purposed in said petition set forth, they to have liberty to adjourn said sale as to time and place of sale according to law, and to make a report of their proceedings herein, to our next stated Orphans Court on the 9th day of April next.
By order of the Court,
Matthias Richards, Clk o Court

The Samuel KERST mentioned in these papers is Mary KERST's brother. John DeTURK was a nephew. His father Samuel DeTUCK m Mary's older sister Catharine KERST.

"Nelly" was the oldest child of John and Mary - born Helena NEUKIRCH on 9/7/1801 and bapt on 2/3/1802 also at Schwartzwald Church; spons: John KERST (her brother) and Anna M. NEUKIRCH.

There was a Jacob NEUKIRCH born 2/4/1785, bp 2/27/1785 to a Jacob NEUKIRCH (no wife shown) also at Schwartzwald Reformed, Sponsors were Stopfel BAYER and Elisabetha. I have never found a connection for either of these Jacobs to the rest of the NEUKIRCH families in Berks Co.!

There was also a Jacob NEWKIRK who was of Scottish origin. He was mentioned in the Biographical Annals of Berks Co, pub 1909, compiled by Morton Montgomery. page 1431:
"p. 1431 BIO:

Surnames: NEWKIRK, SHANEMAN, REINHART, DISHER, FRY, BURKEY, LESHER, MILLER, BOWMAN, KNAUER, HUTTENSBEIN, FRANK, PORR

Harry E. Newkirk baggagemaster on the Pennsylvania Railroad, making a daily run between Reading and Philadelphia, was born at the family home in Reading, the eldest child of Samuel and Mary (Shaneman) Newkirk.

The Newkirk family originated in Scotland and from that land came Jacob Newkirk, the great-grandfather of Harry E, who settled in Berks county, where he died on his farm in Maxatawny township at the age of sixty-two. He married Mary Reinhart, who died aged about sixty-eight years. They had the following children: Jacob, Charles, John, Sarah (who married Jacob Disher, of Oley township) and Mrs. David Fry.

Jacob Newkirk, grandfather of Harry E., was born in Maxatawny township and in young manhood learned the carpenter trade and assisted in the building of the Lebanon Valley bridge. Later he worked as a wheelwright; he then came to Reading and for eight years was employed at the car shops of the Pennsylvania road. Still later he engaged in a contracting business which he followed for a number of years and then bought land in Cumru township, near Yocom's Church. He was a good business man and made a success of raising cattle and hogs. He also built canal boats while living in Berks county. He later moved to Schuylkill county, where the remainder of his life was spent in teaming and farming. He died at the age of eighty-four years. He married Mary Burkey, now deceased, and they had four children: Samuel, John, Almina, who married Henry Lesher, and Jacob. ...."

Census 1850 for this second Jacob, who died age 84, shows:
1850 Census, SW Ward Reading
Jacob NEWKIRK, age 34 laborer, born in PA (born abt 1816)
Mary age, 29, PA
Samuel age 10, PA (this is the Samuel who married Mary SHANEMAN shown above)
Eleanor, age 7, PA*
John age 6, PA

*It seems that Eleanor may have died young, since she is not mentioned in the BIO. The other children mentioned could have been born after 1850.

However, this JACOB line stayed in PA. No indication his line went to VA!

So.....just wanted to correct the info that JOhn and Mary KERST NEUKIRCH had a son named Jacob!

Diana in AL