VALOUDOU-L Archives

Archiver > VALOUDOU > 1997-12 > 0883130492

From: Patricia A Grout< >
Subject: Re: JARNAGIN;GROVE;STAPLETON;LAMBERT;WITT;SMITH
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 1997 02:01:32 -0800

Hi, April,

I am very interested in this information, as I am also a descendant of
John Jarnigan, but didn't have any information on this family having been
in Loudoun County. This especially interests me because my Jones and
Gibson families (Alfred Jones and Rosetta Gibson were married in Loudoun
County County, VA on Jan 13 1829) later were connected with my Jarnigans.
This is what I have on the Smith-Jarnigan families and their ancestors
in my line:

FIRST GENERATION

1. Master Thomas JERNEGAN was born in 1614 in England. He was living in
1668 in Nansemond Co., Va. He died in 1705 in Nansemond Co., Va.

He was married to Ann ARLINGTON. Master Thomas JERNEGAN and Ann
ARLINGTON had the following children:

2i.Henry JERNIGAN was born in 1655 in Nansemond
Co., Va. He was living on Nov 29 1735 in Bertie Co., NC.
3ii.Thomas(2) JERNIGAN was born about 1664 in
England. He died after 1735 in Nansemond Co., Va.
+4iii.John(2) JARNIGAN.
5iv.Margaret JERNIGAN was born about 1670 in VA.

SECOND GENERATION

4. John(2) JARNIGAN died in 1734 in Bertie Co., NC. He died in 1734 in
NC. He was born c1660 in VA.

He was married to Temperance MOORE. John(2) JARNIGAN and Temperance
MOORE had the following children:

6i.George JERNIGAN signed a will on Mar 6 1778 in
Bertie Co., NC. He was born C1770 in Bertie Co., NC. He died between
March and May1778 in Bertie Co., NC.
+7ii.Thomas JARNIGAN.
8iii.Mary JERNIGAN.
9iv.James(3) JERNIGAN was born c1700. He was
living in Ahoskie area of NC.
10v.John( 3) JERNIGAN was living in 1717/18 in
Meherrin Creek. He Moved after 1718 in Edgecomb Co. NC. He died in
1745/46. He was born c1690.
11vi.Henry (3) JERNIGAN was born about 1690. He
was living about 1717 in Meherrin Creek, Nc. He was living in 1739 in
Bladen Co., NC. He died about 1760 in Bladen Co..
12vii.David (3) JERNIGAN was living in 1728 in
Meherrin River, NC. He was born c1700 in VA. He was living in Edgecomb
Co. NC. He was living in Wayne Co. NC Willow Dale Cemetery, Goldsboro.

THIRD GENERATION

7. Thomas JARNIGAN was born about 1693 in VA. He was living between
1726 and 1737 in Bertie Co., NC. He was living in 1737 in Chowan. He
was living in 1745 in Edgecombe NC. He was living in 1756 in Wayne Co.,
NC. He died in 1769 in NC.

Elizabeth LEE OR PORTER died in Wayne Co, . NC. Thomas JARNIGAN and
Elizabeth LEE OR PORTER had the following children:

13i.Thomas (4) JERNIGAN was living in 1760 in
Craven Co. SC. He was living between 1787 and 1790 in Georgetown
District.
14ii.g George(4) JERNIGAN.
15iii.David(4) JERNIGAN.
+16iv.John JARNIGAN.

FOURTH GENERATION

16. John JARNIGAN was born in 1715 in Maney's Neck NC. He died in 1798
in VA. He was living in Pittsylvania Co.Va. He Nickname Jack.

He was married to Mary BYNUM. John JARNIGAN and Mary BYNUM had the
following children:

+17i.John(5) JARNIGAN II.
18ii.Thomas(5) JARNIGAN was born on Jul 25 1746.
He was living between 1767 and 1780 in Pittsylvania Co. Va.. He died on
Feb 6 1802 in Grainger Co. Tn. He served in the military American Rev.
He was living c1780 in Morristown, Tn..
19iii.William(5) JARNIGAN served in the military
American Revolution. He was born c1755 in Pittsylvania Co. Va.. He died
in TN. He was living in Jefferson Co. Tn.. He was living in Georgia.
20iv.Sarah JARNIGAN was born about 1760 in
Pittsylvania Co..
21v.Faithey JARNIGAN died in 1781. She was born
1760's.

FIFTH GENERATION

17. John(5) JARNIGAN II was living in 1780 in Grainger Co. Tn. He was
living after 1792 in Highland Co., OH. He died in 1816. He served in
the military American Rev in Frontier Scout serving in the Henry Co., VA
Militia. He was born c1747 in Henry Co., Va.. He was living in Hawkins
Co. NC.

He was married to Mary SMITH (daughter of Thomas SMITH and Elizabeth
WITT). Mary SMITH signed a will in 1797 in Rockingham Co., NC. She was
living in Henry Co., Va.. John(5) JARNIGAN II and Mary SMITH had the
following children:

+22i.Nancy JARNIGAN.
+23ii.John(6) JARNIGAN III.
24iii.Isaac JARNIGAN.
+25iv.Drury (Drewry) JARNIGAN.
+26v.Noah JARNIGAN.
+27vi.Huldah (Holly) JARNIGAN.
+28vii.Emilia (Milly) JARNIGAN.
+29viii.Mary (Polly) JARNIGAN.
+30ix.Eli JARNIGAN.

SIXTH GENERATION

22. Nancy JARNIGAN was born on Jan 18 1772 in VA. She died on Feb 15
1862 in Fayette County, Ohio. She was buried about Feb 16 1862 in
Pleasant Hill Cemetery in Fairfield Township, Highland County, Ohio.

She was married to Jacob COOPER about 1800 in Grainger Co., TN. Jacob
COOPER was living before 1800 in Probably Randolph Co., NC. He was born
abt 1763 or August 16, 1769 in VA. He died aft 1850 and by May 25 1853
in Probably in Highland Co., OH. Nancy JARNIGAN and Jacob COOPER had the
following children:

+31i.Sarah COOPER.
(other children omitted.)

23. John(6) JARNIGAN III was born on Apr 8 1775 in VA. He died on Apr
24 1857 in Grainger Co. Tn.

He was married to Susanna CLARK about 1802 in Cocke Co., TN.

24. Isaac JARNIGAN was born in 1776 in VA. He died in 1834 in Ohio.

25. Drury (Drewry) JARNIGAN was born in 1779 in TN. He died in 1815 in
Ohio.

He was married to Nancy GROVE (daughter of John GROVE and Elizabeth
LAMBERT (STAPLETON)) on Dec 11 1802 in Grainger Co. Tn.

26. Noah JARNIGAN was born in 1780. He died on Nov 15 1848 in Jackson
Co., MO.

He was married to Lettice GROVE (daughter of John GROVE and Elizabeth
LAMBERT (STAPLETON)) on Nov 15 1808 in Highland Co., OH. Lettice GROVE
died in Aug 1844 in Bates Co., MO. She was born in VA.

27. Huldah (Holly) JARNIGAN was born in Grainger Co. Tn.

She was married to Benjamin GROVE (son of John GROVE and Elizabeth
LAMBERT (STAPLETON)) on Nov 11 1802 in Grainger Co. Tn.

28. Emilia (Milly) JARNIGAN was born in TN.

She was married to Benjamin James HORTON on Mar 9 1807 in Highland Co.,
OH.

29. Mary (Polly) JARNIGAN was born in 1782 in VA. She died in 1840 in
Fulton Co., Ill.

She was married to Jacob WEYER (son of John Andrew WEYER and Sarah Eliza
WOLFE) on Apr 7 1801 in Grainger Co. Tn. Jacob WEYER died in 1840 in
Fulton Co., Ill. He was born in York Co., PA.

30. Eli JARNIGAN was born on Mar 28 1793 in TN. He died in 1876 in
Ohio.

He was married to Mary FRANKLIN (daughter of Anthony FRANKLIN and Mary
???) in 1816. Mary FRANKLIN was born in 1799. She resided Randolph Co.,
Ind..

(Later generations omitted.)

I got most of the info from other researchers, and haven't been able to
verify much of it. If anyone can help me to find out more about these
families I would be most grateful, as I'm pretty new to genealogy, and
can use all the help I can get!

Pat Grout ( or )