VanArsdale-L Archives

Archiver > VanArsdale > 2006-10 > 1162072677

From: "BStevens" <>
Subject: Re: [VANARSDALE] Lammetje Probasco m. Jan Simonse van Arsdalen
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2006 17:57:57 -0400

Sasha,

I also descend from Jan Simonse Van Arsdalen and Lammetje Probasco (first name shoud be Jan, not Janse, as Janse is the patronymic form indicating "son of Jan"). I have circa 1695 as the marriage, based on the birth of the first known son, Christophel, born c. 1696.

Lammetje is a daughter of Christophel Juriaense Prbasco. Christophel Probasco was forn 1649, Recife, Brzail, son of Juriaen Probasco and Heyltie Aertss. Juriaen Probasco is "of Breslau, Silesia" (current Wroclaw, Poland). I am appending an ancestry report for Lammetje Probasco at the end of this message, with my sources. It is rather lengthy, but why not --- it will then be in the archives for our list, and any questions, corrections, or additions can be addressed to the list or to me.

I do not qualify for the Probasco DNA study, of course, but have been very actively supporting it financially since its inception, to help insure that any Probasco descendant who is willing to submit a DNA sample is not dissuaded because of the cost (and me on a teacher's salary -- but hey, I work to support my genealogy addiction!) In addition, I moderate the Probasco list hosted by RootsWeb. We have learned a great deal about the Probasco family, not only in America, but in Central Europe. Juriaen's name was recorded as Probatskie in the earliest records, you may recall. The DNA studies have shown a match with the Bartoszewski family (modern-day Bartos) of Poland. They show up in Polish records as a part of the lesser "nobility", which only means that they were recognized as having contributed at one point to some successful military defense of the region, and does not imply any connection whatsoever with "royalty". They appear later as active members of the church heirarchy, and Probatskie itself tanslates as "son of the Provost", a provost being a high official of the church. So, without a lot more explanation and possible confusion, I will simply say that Juriaen Probasco/Probatskie is likely a son or grandson of a Bartoszeski who was a church provost. For more detailed reports, I would refer you to the archives of the Probasco mail list at Rootsweb, and suggest using Bartoszewski as a key word, or looking at the reports of the Probasco DNA coordinator, Nora J. Probasco.

Cordially,
Bryce Stevens

Ancestors of Lammetje Probasco

Generation No. 1

1. Lammetje Probasco1,2,3, born Abt. 1676 in prob. Flatbush, long Island4; died Aft. 17564. She was the daughter of 2. Christoffel Jurriansen Probasco and 3. Eytie Stryker. She married (1) Jan Simonse van Arsdale Abt. 1695 in New Lotts, Kings County, Long Island, New York5. He was born Abt. 1667 in Amersfoort (Flatlands), Long Island, New York6, and died Bef. 08 March 1756 in Jamaica, Long Island, New York7,8. He was the son of Sijmon Jansz van Arsdalen and Pieterje Claesen (van Schouw).

Notes for Jan Simonse van Arsdale:

In 1720, Jan and Lammetje stood as witnesses to the baptism of their grandson Christoffel, son of Christoffel, at the New Brunswick First (Dutch) Reformed Church.

Some older sources state that Lammetje was the second of four wives to Jan, a confusion first published in the "Somerset County Historical Quarterly." A very thorough search by Edward Vanarsdale, of West Hempstead, New York, leaving 'no stone unturned,' convinced him that Lammetje was Jan's only wife. The error occurred, perhaps, because of the number of Jans in the family, or because of the multitude of spellings of Lammetje's name.

Abstracts of Wills, Vol. V, 1754 - 1760, New York Historical Society, 1896, page 104:

Liber 20. Page 1

In the name of God, Amen. I, JOHN VAN ARSEDALE, of Jamaica, in Queens County, "being, by the abundant, gracious mercy of God, in perfect health of body." All debts and funeral charges are to be paid out of my personal property. My beloved wife Lainte shall have the use and profit of all my dwelling house, lands, tenements, and meadows which I now possess during the time she continues my widow. "But if she had rather, I order that she shall have paid her £15 a year during her life. If she accepts the same, then all my real and personal estate is to be divided among my three children, as follows: To my son Simon £10. To my son Nicholas £150. To my son Uriah £150, and the rest to all my children, viz., Simon, Nicholas, Uriah, Christophel, Cornelius, Ida, Peternella, Maria, Heletie, and Sarah. My executors are to sell real estate unless my children can agree to divide the same. I leave to my sons my wearing apparell, and I make them executors. Dated -- day of (???), 1736. Witnesses, George Youngs, Benjamin Coe, Benjamin Hinchman. Proved, March 8, 1756, before Samuel Clowes, Esq. Confirmed by Sir Charles Hardy, Knight, Captain-General, and Governor, April 29, 1756.

Abstracts of Wills, Vol. XVII, Corrections Volume II, New York Historical Society, 1908, page 204 corrects Jan's wife's name to Lamitie.

More About Jan Simonse van Arsdale:

Burial: Jamaica, Long Island, New York.9

Will Proved: 29 April 175610

Will written: 1736, Jamaica, Queens County, Long Island.10

More About Jan van Arsdale and Lammetje Probasco:

Marriage: Abt. 1695, New Lotts, Kings County, Long Island, New York11

Generation No. 2

2. Christoffel Jurriansen Probasco, born 1649 in Recife, Brazil12,13; died Aft. 03 October 1724 in New Amsterdam14. He was the son of 4. Juriaen Probasco and 5. Heyltien Aertss. He married 3. Eytie Stryker Abt. 1676 in New Amsterdam14.

3. Eytie Stryker, born Abt. 1654 in Ruinen, Drenthe, Holland14,15; died Aft. 1705 in New Amsterdam16. She was the daughter of 6. Jan Gerritse Stryker and 7. Lammertje Roelofse Seubering.

Notes for Christoffel Jurriansen Probasco:

Recife DRC: #628, Christoffel, June 6, 1649, Ouders: Juriaen Probatski en Hillitien Aerts; get Jan Reyniers, Rijckie Janss.

More About Christoffel Jurriansen Probasco:

Baptism: 13 June 1649, Brazil

More About Christoffel Probasco and Eytie Stryker:

Marriage: Abt. 1676, New Amsterdam16

Children of Christoffel Probasco and Eytie Stryker are:

1 i. Lammetje Probasco, born Abt. 1676 in prob. Flatbush, long Island; died Aft. 1756; married Jan Simonse van Arsdale Abt. 1695 in New Lotts, Kings County, Long Island, New York.

ii. Heyltie Probasco16, born Abt. 167716; died 27 September 172716; married Jeremias Remsen 26 September 169816; born 10 September 1675 in Brooklyn, Kings County, New York16; died 03 July 1757 in Wallabout, New Netherland16.

More About Heyltie Probasco:

Miscellaneous: Jeremias and Heyltie had eight children.16

Notes for Jeremias Remsen:

No proof has been found of Jeremias' first marriage. See Dutch-Colony list archives at Rootsweb.com, under search word 'Remsen' for 1999, following the thread "Catalyntje Remsen" and "Catalyntje Remsen: a possible solution." Dorothy Koenig suggests that Catalyntje was the daughter of Jeremias by a first wife. Unfortunately, marriage records for the critical years are not available. But, unless Catalyntje is a daughter by a first wife, we are left with the untenable conclusion that Heyltie Probasco's brother Jurrian married her own daughter. While the Dutch Church would never condone this in a church marriage, it would have condoned a marriage beween a step-uncle and step-niece, where there was not a close blood relationship.

More About Jeremias Remsen and Heyltie Probasco:

Marriage: 26 September 169816

iii. Jurrian Probasco, born Abt. 167816; died Bef. 30 October 169516

iv. Jan Probasco, born Abt. 1680 in Jamaica, Long Island16; died 1749 in Millstone, Somerset County, New Jersey16; married Adriantje Reyniersen Van Hengel 1702 in Jamaica, Long Island16,17; born Abt. 1682 in Flatbush, Long Island, New York; died Bef. 1749.

Notes for Jan Probasco:

Abstract of will:

In the name of God, Amen, November 27, 1744. I, Jan Probasco, of Jamaica, in Queens County, yeoman, being in health. I leave to my son, Reynier Probasco, my dwelling house, barn, and homestead in Jamaica, with all farming utensils, wagons, etc. I leave to my eldest son, Stoefell, £10, in consideration of his birthright. To my daughter Sarah, £ 20, to furnish her with handsome furniture equal with her married sisters; Also a negro girl. I leave to my 4 daughters, Yanitie, wife of Gerritt Dorland, Idagh, wife of Jacob Lott, Sarah, and Ariantie, wife of Minard Van Sickle, £ 500. All the rest to my children, Stoefell, John, Abraham, Reynier, Yanitie, Idagh, Sarah, and Ariantie. My son Reynier is to pay to my executors £ 200, to be divided among the rest of my children.

Witness, John Rhodes, John Dorland, Benjamin Hirchman. Proved, before Samuel Clowes, Esqu., May 1, 1749.

New York Historical Society Collections

Abstracts of Wills, Vol. IV, 1744-1753, pages 223 & 224

More About Jan Probasco:

Miscellaneous: 20 October 1732, Mentioned in brother Jurian's will, as John.18

Will Proved: 01 May 174918,19

Will written: 27 November 174420,21

More About Adriantje Reyniersen Van Hengel:

Baptism: 12 March 1681/82, Flatbush RDC22

Baptism witnesses: 12 March 1681/82, Jacob Aukes & dau. of Langstreet23

More About Jan Probasco and Adriantje Van Hengel:

Marriage: 1702, Jamaica, Long Island24,25

v. Jacob Probasco, born Abt. 1682 in Brooklyn, New Amsterdam26; died Bef. 07 November 1755 in Middlebush, Somerset County, New Jersey; married Mary Van Liew 1707 in Somerset County, New Jersey; born 29 April 1686 in Jamaica, Queens County, New York; died Bef. December 1752 in New Jersey.

Notes for Jacob Probasco:

Sponsors at his baptism, which is also in the Flatlands church record, were Jakop Strycker, Cornelis Jansen (Berrien), Jofvrow Potters (Swaantje Strykers). (Van Alstyne; I do not know what his parentheses indicate).

Death given by one source as 22 December 1755. His estate was inventoried 7 November 1755, and the will proved 25 November 1755.

Calendar of New Jersey Wills, Vol. III, 1751-1760, pp. 260-261. Liber F, p. 297:

1752, Dec. 23. Probasco, Jacob, of Somerset Co., farmer; will of.

Children -- Christopher (living at Middlebush), Jacob, Frederick, John, Hendrick, Deyna (wife of John Hogelandt), Ida (wife of William Post), Mary (wife of George Berrege). Home far; farm at Middlebush; land on the Westside of Millstone River, formerly belonging to Steven Courten; 260 acres in Amwell, Hunterdon Co. Personal estate. Executors -- sons Christopher and John, and son-in-law, John Hogelandt. Witnesses -- John Smock, Tise Smock, John Brokaw. Proved Nov. 25, 1755.

1755, Nov. 7. Inventory, £435.13.11, incl. 19½ Dutch ells of homemade linen @ 2s., £1.19; a silver cup & 2 silver spoons, £3.10; 3 books, 6s.; 3 negroes, £150; 100 bush. of wheat, £25; 40 do. of Indian corn, £5; 30 co. of buckwheat, £2.5; bonds and cash, £00.13; made by Benjamin Thomson, Peter Perrine and Abraham Couwenhoven.

[details of will provided by Cindy Owens. See Probasco-list archives at RootsWeb, key-words Maria Probasco, letter dated 19 May 2001; verified as given in the Calendar of Wills]

More About Jacob Probasco:

Baptism: 09 July 1682, Brooklyn, New Amsterdam.

Inventory: 07 November 1755, Somerset County, New Jersey

Will Proved: 25 November 1755, Somerset County, New Jersey27

Will written: 23 December 1752, Somerset County, New Jersey27

More About Mary Van Liew:

Miscellaneous: 30 December 1740, Mentioned in mother's will as daughter Mary, wife of Jacob Probasco of New York.28

More About Jacob Probasco and Mary Van Liew:

Marriage: 1707, Somerset County, New Jersey

vi. Abraham Probasco, born Abt. 1685 in Flatbush, Long Island28; married Geertje Lubbertse.

More About Abraham Probasco:

Baptism: 22 February 1684/85, Flatbush28

Baptism witnesses: Joris Hanz Bergen, Joris Abransz, Annetje Barends28

vii. Aeltje Probasco, born Abt. 1687 in Brooklyn, New Amsterdam28

More About Aeltje Probasco:

Baptism: 26 June 1687, Brooklyn. Sponsors: Gerrit Jakopsen Stryker, Teuntje Strykers.28

viii. Sara Probasco, born Abt. 1693 in New Lotts, New York28; died Bef. 1715; married Samuel Groenendyk 1713 in Flatbush, Long Island28; born in South River28.

More About Samuel Groenendyk:

Residence: Flatbush28

More About Samuel Groenendyk and Sara Probasco:

Marriage: 1713, Flatbush, Long Island28

Marriage date: 29 October 1713, Banns posted.28

ix. Jurian Probasco, born Abt. 1695 in Flatbush, Long Island; died 1732; married Catalyntie Remsen; born Abt. 1696; died Aft. 1732.

Notes for Jurian Probasco:

Will, from "Abstracts of Wills, Vol. III, 1730-1740," page 410. Provided by Richard McCool.

In the Name of God, Amen, February 25, 1730, I, JURIAN PROBASCO, of Flatbush, in Kings County, being at present very sick. I leave to my wife Catalyntie my houses, lands, and tenements, in the Township and Liberties of Flatbush or elsewhere, during her life, for the maintainance of my two children, Christopher and Janettie. I leave to my son Christopher my Great Bible, and £12 for his birthright. After my son is of age and has had possession of the farm for one year, he shall pay to my wife £100, and to my daughter Janettie £300. "If any of my slaves should be stubborn and disobedient, then my wife and executors may sell them and buy others." I make my father-in-law, Jeremiah Remsen, and my brother, John Probasco, executors.

Witnesses, Isaac Snedeker, Elbert Hegeman, A. Hegeman. Proved, October 20, 1732.

More About Jurian Probasco:

Baptism: 30 October 1695, Flatbush. Joris Abrouse and Tryntie _____, sponsors.28

Military 1: 1715, Belonged to a regiment of soldiers, Kings County.28

Will Proved: 20 October 1732, New York City28

Will written: 25 February 1729/3028,29

More About Catalyntie Remsen:

Miscellaneous: 20 October 1732, Mentioned in Jurian's will.s30

x. Christoffel Probasco, born 1702; married Catalynte Martense Schenck; born 07 May 1705 in Flatlands, Long Island, New York31.

Generation No. 3

4. Juriaen Probasco, born Abt. 1627 in Breslau, Silesia (Wroclaw, Poland)32; died Abt. 1664 in Brooklyn, New Amsterdam33. He married 5. Heyltien Aertss Bef. 1647.

5. Heyltien Aertss34, died Aft. 10 October 1666 in Brooklyn, New Amsterdam35.

Notes for Juriaen Probasco:

Juriaen Probasco's Place of Origin, by Harry Macy, Jr. New York Genealogical and Biographical Record, vol. 125, no. 4 (October 1994), informs us that Juriaen arrived in New Netherlands aboard the ship Peartree in 1654. He had lived in the Dutch colony in Brazil, where he had children baptized. A ship's notary recorded, 17 June 1654, that Juriaen owed 130 carolus guilders to the ship's distiller for his outfit. This document identified him as Jurrien Probatski, from Breslau, and said he was an adelborst on the ship. (Breslau, Silesia is now Wroclaw, Poland). Macy's research was based on the files of notary Hendrick Schaef (Not. Arch 1329/39v, Gemeente Archief Amsterdam).

More About Juriaen Probasco and Heyltien Aertss:

Marriage: Bef. 1647

Children of Juriaen Probasco and Heyltien Aertss are:

2 i. Christoffel Jurriansen Probasco, born 1649 in Recife, Brazil; died Aft. 03 October 1724 in New Amsterdam; married Eytie Stryker Abt. 1676 in New Amsterdam.

ii. Margaret Probasco, born Abt. 1647 in Recife (?), Brazil36

More About Margaret Probasco:

Baptism: 24 March 1646/47, Brazil. Abraham van Stricht and Susanna Sweerts, sponsors.36

iii. Anneken Probasco, born Abt. 1651 in Recife (?), Brazil36

More About Anneken Probasco:

Baptism: 17 May 1651, Brazil37

6. Jan Gerritse Stryker, born 1614 in Ruinen, Drenthe, Holland38,39,40; died 03 March 1696/97 in Midwout (Flatbush), Long Island41. He was the son of Gerrit Stryker. He married 7. Lammertje Roelofse Seubering Bef. 1648 in Ruinen, Drenthe, Holland41.

7. Lammertje Roelofse Seubering, born Abt. 1621 in Holland; died June 1675 in Midwout (Flatbush), Long Island42,43. She was the daughter of Roeloff Lukassen Seubering.

Notes for Jan Gerritse Stryker:

In 1661 separate Courts of Justice were established for the towns of Flatbush and Flatlands. The officers selected for Flatbush were Jan Stryker, Jan Snediker and Willem Gilliamsen (Willemsen, later known as Cornel). The appointments were dated 31 March 1661. Adriaen Hegeman was then Secretary of the several towns on Long Island. Jan Stryker and "Willem Gelyamsz" (Gillamsen), then newly elected Schepens, were installed in office at a meeting held on 28 March 1664. Immediately following the installation an alarming threat to the entire Colony was occasioned by the efforts of Great Britain to gain possession of New Netherland and a British fleet had appeared in the harbor. A lengthy document described the situation and a letter sent to Director Peter Stuyvesant signed by Jan Stryker, Jan Snediker and Willem Guilliams tells of their efforts to save the town of Flatbush. It stated that they were for the most part men advanced in life who had invested all of their fortunes in the improvement of New Netherland, and unless aid was given they would be forced into poverty. The Director, fearing an attack upon the Fort at New Amsterdam, ordered the Dutch towns on Long Island to send every third man to New Amsterdam for the protection of the Fort. He received in reply a document signed by the three above named men refusing to comply with such a demand as they feared for their wives and children and would not leave them unprotected at the mercy of the enemy. Few men had ever defied Peter Stuyvesant's orders.

(Spell, "Cornel Family ..." loc. cit.)

Jan Stryker and Jan Snedeker were good friends, and not above a little mischief-making. The two of them were appointed to the commission to oversee the construction of the first Midwout (Flatbush) church. Domine Polhemus, assuming pastoral duties at Midwout in 1654, probably did not move himself and his family to the relative wilds of Long Island until sometime in 1656, when the church building should have been completed.

There was not even a church yet, although construction got under way in 1656, presumably with the supply of planks ordered by Governor Stuyvesant. Polhemus and his family had to live in the unfinished end of the church building reserved as an apartment for the pastor and his family.

Polhemus addressed a letter to Director General Stuyvesant, dated 14 December 1656:

"Noble Sir, Honorable General in New Netherland.

I am compelled to respectfully complain to your honor, that I must see the planks, given, by your Honor out of compassion and presented to the community here to finish my house against this cold winter, being taken and lost this way or that; for instance two were lost on the way here by having been left on the beach in nobody's care; after having been brought into the village without my knowledge, twenty-four were delivered to Jan Eversen Meyer, six were put down at the church for benches, of the balance 69 were carried away with the consent of Jan Snedicker and Jan Stryker, 17 carried to Thomas Swartout and his brother Adalbert Swartout to dry malt, so that my house remains open as it was and I with my wife and children must live and sleep on the bare ground and in the cold. They say, there is no carpenter here, that I should procure one to have the work done. In order not to make my situation worse by keeping silence, I write this to your Honor. In haste Your Honor's obedient servant, Joh. Th. Polheym."

Stuyvesant wrote to the village fathers a week later:

"Honorable, Dear, Faithful:

When last with you in Breuckelen at the house of Albert Cornelissen it was agreed in parting, by mutual consent and approbation of yourselves and the other delegates from the villages of Breuckelen and Amersfoort, that you should together make an estimate of the funds, out of which the preacher Polheym, was to be paid and placed above want and report it to us and the Council within eight days.

As this time has passed and we are not yet informed of the result, we have deemed it necessary to remind you of it through the Schout [prosecutor] and this open letter, that you fulfill your promise; else we shall be compeled by our official position and duties to take steps and give such orders and provide for such means, that the Minister be duly paid and placed above want.

The said Polheym, who was then present, complains further of the uninhabitable state and inconvenience of his dwelling house, which has as yet neither ceiling nor wainscoting, so that he and his family are compelled to sleep on the floor. The winter being imminent, this is unbearable and improper and in order to remedy it we sent you for the ceiling and wainscoting of the house one hundred hemlock planks, which parties deputed by you received and carried to my brother's-in-law Backer's house. I am however credibly informed now, that the said boards have not been used for the purpose intended by us, but that the Commisaries dispose of them privately according to their pleasure, for instance, so I am told, twenty-four have been given to the hired man of Jan Evertsen; six ordered to be cut up for benches, seventeen given by Jan Snedicker to the Swartouts, so that the boards disappear here and there, while nothing whatever is done to finish the Minister's house, which is most urgent to do, the winter being so near at hand. We command therefore herewith, that the boards be brought together again upon receipt hereof and put to their proper use and no other, as we have ordered. If you fail herein, we shall take proper measures; whereupon relying we commend you all with the usual greetings to God's protection and remain, P. Stuyvesant."

(Documents Relating to the Colonial History of the State of New York, Vol. III, New Series: Fernow, 1883. Weed, Parsons & Co., Albany, publishers)

More About Jan Gerritse Stryker:

Burial: Flatbush Dutch Reformed Church yard, Brooklyn43

Residence: 1652, Came to New Amsterdam with wife and four children.44

More About Lammertje Roelofse Seubering:

Burial: Flatbush Dutch Reformed Church yard, Brooklyn

More About Jan Stryker and Lammertje Seubering:

Marriage: Bef. 1648, Ruinen, Drenthe, Holland44

Children of Jan Stryker and Lammertje Seubering are:

i. Aeltje Stryker45, born 1640 in Netherlands46; married Abraham Joris Brinckerhoff; died 171147.

Notes for Aeltje Stryker:

Ancestor of artist Mary Cassatt.

ii. Jannetje Stryker, born Abt. 1642 in Netherlands48,49; died Aft. 1705; married (1) Cornelis Jansen Berrien 1652; born Abt. 1620; died 168950; married (2) Samuel Edsall 168951; born Abt. 1634 in Reading, England.

Notes for Jannetje Stryker:

Possibly other children including Jacob, baptized 1678, and Cornelis, baptized 1683. These are not mentioned by Riker, but are by Bergen. Bergen does not mention Catherine.

Notes for Cornelis Jansen Berrien:

Teunis G. Bergen, "Register of Early Settlers of Kings County" (1881) wrote that Cornelis Jansen Bergen married (1) Jannetje, the daughter of Jan Stryker of Flatbush and married (2) Hendrickje Verplancken (under Bergen's Berrien entry).

William Norman Stryker, in Volume I of "The Stryker Family of America," says this Jannetje Stryker married (1) Cornelius Janesen Berrian in 1652 and (2) Samuel Edsall in 1689. He also says that Jannetje died in 1689.

Bergen, in his Edsall entey, says Samuel Edsall married (1) Jannetje Wessels of Arnheim, Gelderland, in New York City on 29 May 1665 and then married (2) Jannetje Stevens, the widow of Cors Jansen Beory of Newtown on 27 August 1689 in Flatbush.

James Riker, Jr., "Annals of Newtown in Queens County, New York" (1852), in his Berrien section, pp 338 & 339, says Cornelis Jansen Berrien, the immigrant, "settled in Flatbush as early as 1669; there he married Jannetie, daughter of Jan Stryker. In 1685 he removed his residence to Newtown, where during the previous year, he and his brother-in-law, Abm. Brinckerhoff, had bought over 400 acres of land at the head of Flushing Bay, which they afterward divided. (William Norman Stryker says that Altje Stryker, Jannetje's older sister, married Abraham Jorise Brinkerhoff on 20 May 1660). Riker goes on to say that Cornelis Jansen Berrien died at Newtown in 1689 and that "Samuel Edsall, Esq., afterwards married his widow."

Riker says that the children of Cornelis and Jannetje were John, Peter, Nicholas, Catherine (m. Jeromus Remsen), and Agnes (m. Lieutenant Joris Rapelje).

In the Holland Society Yearbook, 1898, the entry for Samuel Edsall's second marriage in 1689 reads "27 August 1689 Samuel Edsall, to Janetje Stevens, N.T." (N.T. being for Newtown?)

Based on these conflicting reports, the Berrien-Stryker marriage appears well founded. The Edsall second marriage to Jannetje Stryker seems plausible (but why 'Stevens?'), and the Verplancken marriage seems erroneous.

(Information and plausibilities courtesy of Dorothy A. Koenig. April, 1998)

More About Cornelis Berrien and Jannetje Stryker:

Marriage: 1652

iii. Agneitje Stryker, born 164652,53; married (1) Claes Tysen; married (2) Jan Cornelius Bogaert Abt. 1684 in Flatbush, Long Island54.

More About Jan Bogaert and Agneitje Stryker:

Marriage: Abt. 1684, Flatbush, Long Island54

iv. Hendrick Stryker, born 164855; died in Flatbush, Kings County, New York; married Catharine Hys 16 February 1686/8756; born in Flatbush, Kings County, New York56.

More About Hendrick Stryker:

Will: 23 January 1683/84, Flatbush, Kings County, New York57

More About Hendrick Stryker and Catharine Hys:

Marriage: 16 February 1686/8758

v. Gerrit Janse Stryker, born 1652; married Styntie Gerritse Dorland 28 December 168359; born Abt. 1660.

Notes for Gerrit Janse Stryker:

High Sheriff of Kings County, New York, 11 October 1686.

1720, Judge of the Court, Richmond, Staten Island.

More About Gerrit Stryker and Styntie Dorland:

Marriage: 28 December 168359

vi. Pieter Janse Stryker, born 01 November 1653 in Flatbush, Kings County, New York60; died 11 June 1741 in Flatbush, Kings County, New York60,61; married Annetje Barents 29 May 168162; born 02 November 1659 in Flatbush, Kings County, New York63; died 17 June 1717 in Flatbush, Kings County, New York64,65.

Notes for Pieter Janse Stryker:

High Sheriff of Kings County, 2 November 1683.

1689, Captain of the Foot Militia.

10 June 1710, bought 4,000 acres along the Millstone River, New Jersey.

1720-1722, Judge of the Court.

More About Pieter Janse Stryker:

Will Proved: 27 May 1742, New York City66

Will written: 13 April 1729, New York City67

More About Annetje Barents:

Baptism: 02 November 165968

More About Pieter Stryker and Annetje Barents:

Marriage: 29 May 168168

3 vii. Eytie Stryker, born Abt. 1654 in Ruinen, Drenthe, Holland; died Aft. 1705 in New Amsterdam; married Christoffel Jurriansen Probasco Abt. 1676 in New Amsterdam.

viii. Sara Stryker69, born Abt. 1655 in Flatbush, Kings County, New York70; married Joris Hansz Bergen 11 August 167870; born 18 July 1649 in Brooklyn, New York70.

More About Joris Bergen and Sara Stryker:

Marriage: 11 August 167870

Endnotes

1. Will of Jan Simonse van Arsdalen, 1736., (Surrogate' s Office, City of New York; Liber 20, page 1.), "My beloved wife Lamitie..."

2. Edward Vanarsdalen.

3. E. Th. R. Unger, "Voorts weet ick niet meer te schrijven', Jaarboek van het Centraal Bureau voor Genealogie, (Deel 50, 1996, pp 179-198; Den Haag, Netherlands. ISSN 1385-4992), Page 192.

4. William B. Van Alstyne, American Origin of the Probasco Family, (Proceedings of the New Jersey Historical Society, vol. 12, New Series, 1927, pp 342-349.).

5. Thomas, Mark Alan; Los Angeles., (Working papers.), Van Arsdalen, Jan, family sheet..

6. E. Th. R. Unger, "Voorts weet ick niet meer te schrijven', Jaarboek van het Centraal Bureau voor Genealogie, (Deel 50, 1996, pp 179-198; Den Haag, Netherlands. ISSN 1385-4992), Page 192, "geb. omstr. 1676," [born about 1676]. No other source places his birth this late. Possibly a typographical transposition, although this would make him 20 or 21 at the birth of Simon, while a birth of 1667 makes him 30, which is late in life for a man to start a family in those times.

7. E. Th. R. Unger, "Voorts weet ick niet meer te schrijven', Jaarboek van het Centraal Bureau voor Genealogie, (Deel 50, 1996, pp 179-198; Den Haag, Netherlands. ISSN 1385-4992), Page 192.

8. Thomas, Mark Alan; Los Angeles., (Working papers.), Van Arsdalen, Jan, family sheet..

9. Ramseyer, J., "Descendants of Simon Jansz Van Aersdale," Working papers, Page 6.

10. Will of Jan Simonse van Arsdalen, 1736., (Surrogate' s Office, City of New York; Liber 20, page 1.).

11. Thomas, Mark Alan; Los Angeles., (Working papers.), Van Arsdalen, Jan, family sheet..

12. William B. Van Alstyne, American Origin of the Probasco Family, (Proceedings of the New Jersey Historical Society, vol. 12, New Series, 1927, pp 342-349.).

13. Harry Macy, Jr., Juriaen Probasco's Place of Origin, (New York Geneological and Biographical Record, Vol 125 No 4 (Oct. 1994) p 204.).

14. William B. Van Alstyne, American Origin of the Probasco Family, (Proceedings of the New Jersey Historical Society, vol. 12, New Series, 1927, pp 342-349.).

15. Bryce Stevens, Estimated dob based on eldest child's birth and birth of husband.

16. William B. Van Alstyne, American Origin of the Probasco Family, (Proceedings of the New Jersey Historical Society, vol. 12, New Series, 1927, pp 342-349.).

17. Valerie Auld, Valerie Auld, (20 December 1997).

18. William B. Van Alstyne, American Origin of the Probasco Family, (Proceedings of the New Jersey Historical Society, vol. 12, New Series, 1927, pp 342-349.).

19. New York Historical Society Collections, Abstracts of Wills, Vol. IV, pages 223 & 224.

20. William B. Van Alstyne, American Origin of the Probasco Family, (Proceedings of the New Jersey Historical Society, vol. 12, New Series, 1927, pp 342-349.).

21. New York Historical Society Collections, Abstracts of Wills, Vol. IV, pages 223 & 224.

22. Peter Rinearson and Arthur P. Rynearson, Reyniersen Family, A Genealogy of the, (1997).

23. Peter Rinearson and Arthur P. Rynearson, Reyniersen Family, A Genealogy of the, (1997), Witness to baptism: probably Teuntie, daughter of Jan Jansen Langstreet and Marritie Arents.

24. William B. Van Alstyne, American Origin of the Probasco Family, (Proceedings of the New Jersey Historical Society, vol. 12, New Series, 1927, pp 342-349.).

25. Valerie Auld, Valerie Auld, (20 December 1997).

26. William B. Van Alstyne, American Origin of the Probasco Family, (Proceedings of the New Jersey Historical Society, vol. 12, New Series, 1927, pp 342-349.).

27. Calendar of New Jersey Wills, Vol. II, 1751 - 1760, pp. 260 - 261, Liber F, page 297.

28. William B. Van Alstyne, American Origin of the Probasco Family, (Proceedings of the New Jersey Historical Society, vol. 12, New Series, 1927, pp 342-349.).

29. New York City Wills, p. 410, 1730 - 44.

30. William B. Van Alstyne, American Origin of the Probasco Family, (Proceedings of the New Jersey Historical Society, vol. 12, New Series, 1927, pp 342-349.).

31. Teunis G. Bergen, Register of Early Settlers of Kings County, page 253.

32. Harry Macy, Jr., Juriaen Probasco's Place of Origin, (New York Geneological and Biographical Record, Vol 125 No 4 (Oct. 1994) p 204.), Date of birth is my estimate.

33. William B. Van Alstyne, American Origin of the Probasco Family, (Proceedings of the New Jersey Historical Society, vol. 12, New Series, 1927, pp 342-349.), Jeurie is mentioned 26 March 1664 regarding a cow, the care of which was assumed by Heytie by 23 July 1664. No reference to Juriaen is made after 26 March.

34. William B. Van Alstyne, American Origin of the Probasco Family, (Proceedings of the New Jersey Historical Society, vol. 12, New Series, 1927, pp 342-349.).

35. William B. Van Alstyne, American Origin of the Probasco Family, (Proceedings of the New Jersey Historical Society, vol. 12, New Series, 1927, pp 342-349.), On 10 October 1666, at Brooklyn, Heyltie witnessed the baptism of Ryck and Jacob, sons of Hyndrick Rycke and Sitie Jacobs. No references to her are found after this date.

36. William B. Van Alstyne, American Origin of the Probasco Family, (Proceedings of the New Jersey Historical Society, vol. 12, New Series, 1927, pp 342-349.).

37. William B. Van Alstyne, American Origin of the Probasco Family, (Proceedings of the New Jersey Historical Society, vol. 12, New Series, 1927, pp 342-349.), Sponsors were Jan Reynertsen Spits, Dirck Pieterssen Bijl, Geertien Adrianssen and Margarita Paccen.

38. William B. Van Alstyne, American Origin of the Probasco Family, (Proceedings of the New Jersey Historical Society, vol. 12, New Series, 1927, pp 342-349.).

39. Stan Smith, (Letter dated 19 April 1998, based on "Stryker Book."), Smith puts date of birth at 1615.

40. William Hoffman, Notes Concerning Settlers of Dutch Descent.

41. William B. Van Alstyne, American Origin of the Probasco Family, (Proceedings of the New Jersey Historical Society, vol. 12, New Series, 1927, pp 342-349.).

42. William B. Van Alstyne, American Origin of the Probasco Family, (Proceedings of the New Jersey Historical Society, vol. 12, New Series, 1927, pp 342-349.), Died in 1663 or 1679.

43. William Norman Stryker, Stryker Family in America, (1979).

44. William B. Van Alstyne, American Origin of the Probasco Family, (Proceedings of the New Jersey Historical Society, vol. 12, New Series, 1927, pp 342-349.).

45. Mrs. John Spell, "Cornel Family of French Descent," New York Genealogical and Bibliographical Record, Vol. 96, April 1965: Riker, "Annals of Newtown," page 293; Brinckerhoff Family, page 76.

46. Teunis G. Bergen, Register of Early Settlers of Kings County, page 289, no birth date given.

47. Mrs. John Spell, "Cornel Family of French Descent," New York Genealogical and Bibliographical Record, Vol. 96, April 1965: On September 7, 1711 Johannes Cornel paid for the burial of his father-in-law, "Abraham Jorse" as recorded in the Flatbush Dutch Chruch records.

48. Teunis G. Bergen, Register of Early Settlers of Kings County, page 289, no birth date given.

49. Susan Case, e-mail dated 4 June 2001, providing estimated date of birth. Source unknown.

50. James Riker, Jr., Annals of Newtown in Queens County, New York, (1852), pages 338-339.

51. William Norman Stryker, Stryker Family in America, (1979), Vol. I.

52. William Hoffman, Notes Concerning Settlers of Dutch Descent.

53. Susan Case, e-mail dated 4 June 2001, providing estimated date of birth. Source unknown.

54. Ackerman, Bogert Family, Had children starting 1684.

55. Susan Case, e-mail dated 4 June 2001, providing estimated date of birth. Source unknown.

56. Teunis G. Bergen, Register of Early Settlers of Kings County, page 288.

57. Teunis G. Bergen, Register of Early Settlers of Kings County, page 288, Will recorded page 78, Liber A, Flatbush records.

58. Teunis G. Bergen, Register of Early Settlers of Kings County, page 288.

59. William Norman Stryker, Stryker Family in America, (1979).

60. Teunis G. Bergen, Register of Early Settlers of Kings County, page 289.

61. David Robert Van Arsdlae, David Robert Van Arsdale, (E-mail dated 29 July 2005).

62. William Norman Stryker, Stryker Family in America, (1979).

63. David Robert Van Arsdlae, David Robert Van Arsdale, (E-mail dated 29 July 2005).

64. William Norman Stryker, Stryker Family in America, (1979), died 17 June 1717, per source.

65. David Robert Van Arsdlae, David Robert Van Arsdale, (E-mail dated 29 July 2005), died August 1721 per source.

66. Teunis G. Bergen, Register of Early Settlers of Kings County, page 290.

67. Teunis G. Bergen, Register of Early Settlers of Kings County, page 290, recorded on page 251, Liber 14, New York Surrogate's Office.

68. William Norman Stryker, Stryker Family in America, (1979).

69. E. Th. R. Unger, "Voorts weet ick niet meer te schrijven', Jaarboek van het Centraal Bureau voor Genealogie, (Deel 50, 1996, pp 179-198; Den Haag, Netherlands. ISSN 1385-4992), Page 192.

70. Jim Fisher, Bergen Family, (Personal Web Pages), "Electronic."

I have the following in my database:
Janse Simonse Vanarsdalen was born about 1667 Ammersfoort LINY married
Lammetje Probasco at New Lots LINY 1695. He died about 1750/1756 Jamaica
LINY.
Lammetje Probasco was the daughter of Christophel Jurianz Probasco.
Above information from "Family Tree of Jacob Banta Vanarsdol and Allied
Families," by Franklin Frick. Do you agree with the above information?
Thank you.
Sasha Stanley
Greene Co., OH

This thread: